Thursday, September 20, 2012

Blog Assignment #4

kids with microphones and headphones broadcasting


Out of the seven sources that were given, I found three sources that most interests me to blog about. The first source was Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting
On this web-page I found podcasting to be an especially great tool for teachers teaching Language Arts.Podcasting allows students to hear and see their own voices, which enables them to correct their pronunciation of a word(s).Using podcast in the classroom helps students learn new words and ultimately expand their vocabulary. Not only does the sound of a word account for a child understanding the word but also the words that come before and after the new "learned" word helps the students understand its meaning.I also learned that when learning a word, it helps if students attach a feeling to that word so that they can use that word in future sentences and clearly understand its meaning.One helpful way to help students with their vocabulary is to have them practice saying a word and also hearing their words. The Next source that caught my attention was the Podcasting with First Grade blog.
This source was mostly about encouraging teachers to use Podcasts with their younger elementary students.I loved the teachers Idea of Starting a Story Book reading and allowing her students to do an interview on the two main characters in the story using podcast. The students learned how to edit their voices if they recorded something they did not like, and also how to add sounds like onomatopoeia's to their story book. Because of podcasting students can now look at reading as something fun and enjoyable to do at school rather than something boring. The last source that I looked at was The Benefits of Podcasting In a Classroom. I like how people who were born after the 1980's are categorized as Millenials. These group of people have never experienced the world without technology. Some benefits that I found for using podcast in the classroom were that it allows differentiation in the classroom, recording lectures, and listen to them as a review, or make it more student centered by taking a project based learning approach(letting students write scripts and act out the parts. Podcasting in the classroom promotes creativity and innovation,and what is even better is that it allows parents to see and hear what their children are doing at school. As a future teacher I will for sure, use podcasting in my Language Arts area of learning to better enhance Blooms Taxonomy, and I will do this by assigning my students a book to read and having them do an interview on the main character(s).

5 comments:

  1. Wow I really enjoyed reading your blog it was very good and enjoyed fallowing the links and learning about listening comprehension podcast. I honestly enjoyed reading this entire blog and hope that one day I can wright one as good as you. thank you so much for sharing this information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Micah, so very generous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley: Thoughtful. Interesting.

    A note to Micah if he returns to the blog: wright should be write and you need to capitalize Thank which starts your last sentence.

    In the previous post I did not clearly identify Micha's mistake. When emailing him I realized that and have correct my comment here and removed my previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley,
    This is overall a great post, and I can tell you put a lot of thought into it! I thought it was great how you connected podcasting with using higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy. I had not considered this, and I think it is a great point! You completed the entire assignment as well as included a picture and links. The only thing I saw as far as corrections go is to make sure you are careful when it comes to capitalization. There are several words throughout that are randomly capitalized in the middle of a sentence. For example, when you said, "The Next source that caught my attention...," 'next' should be lowercase. Also, make sure you watch your apostrophes like when you said, "I loved the teachers idea...," it should be 'teacher's.' But other than those little grammar mistakes, it was a really great post, and I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete